You probably already know what math is, and you’ve probably had to do math quite a bit yourself. In fact, no matter what your career or your daily life, you’re going to have to do some type of math on a daily basis. Just determining the cost of items you get at the store or how much it will cost to fill your gas tank will require math.
Doing most jobs will require at least a little math, like determining how much fabric to sew a costume or how many pieces of wood to construct a project. All of these things require you to have some math knowledge. And depending on your career, you may have to do a lot of math.
But if you’re a student, or even if you’re out of school now and just the curious sort, you may be wondering what does math stand for, or you might be wondering about some math puns. Well, there are plenty of different math funny jokes that you can take a look at, and we will.
First Thing First: What is Math (Actually)?
Let’s start with the basics. Just what is math? Chances are, you have an overall definition of math and what you think of it. You probably think of it as being either fun or boring, hard or easy, depending on your personal experiences with it. Well, there is a basic definition for just what math is.
Math is the science of numbers, quantities, and shapes, and the relations between them, according to Merriam-Webster.
It could also be ‘the science of numbers and their operations, interrelations, combinations, generalizations, and abstractions and of space configurations and their structure, measurement, transformations, and generalizations,’ also from Merriam-Webster.
So, when you’re counting, that’s math. When you’re talking about 10 apples or 2 boxes or 50 students, you’re talking about math as well. But you might not realize that math also encompasses shapes like squares, triangles, circles, and others. Not just when you’re calculating things like angles and radius and area, but just in general, a shape is part of math.
So, that means that math is absolutely everywhere. It’s all around us, and it deals with just about everything in our world.
What Does Math Mean in Slang?
So, once we’ve figured out and discussed just what math means for real, but let’s take a look at some of the slang that people have for the term. After all, with so many people who absolutely hate it, there’s bound to be some slang out there about it, right? Well, yes.
The most commonly used slang definition for math is either phone number or money. Some people use this word to refer to either one, such as ‘giving someone your math’ as a reference to giving out your phone number. Another is talking about what people are willing to do ‘for math,’ referring to the things people are willing to do for money.
While either of these forms of slang is actually uncommon, While some people will use them, they’re actually from a decade or more ago for the most part. So, you could use them, and you might get a few people who know what you’re talking about, but you’ll also have a lot of people that aren’t sure what you mean or why you’re talking like that.
Of course, there are other things that people say about math and different acronyms that people use to define this term. If you’re looking for more fun about math and the definition of it, then you’re definitely going to want to take a look at some of the other sections we’re going to discuss.
21 Funny Math Acronyms
Just what are some of those funny math acronyms? Well, we’ll take a look at a few of them.
- Making amazing tutoring happen
- Make America think harder
- Mental abuse to humans
- Multidimensional approach to healing
- Maintaining and targeting health
- Meaningless and too hard
- Mentally abusing the haters
- Misery and tiring hatred
- Morning at the hated school
- Multiplication addition thinking hard work
- Many awesome times and hours
- Makes all teachers happy
- Mandatory angering torturous hell
- Mundane asinine theoretical health
- Mental assault taken hostage
- Mentally abuse to hell
- Mentors authorized to help
- Make assertive thinking happen
- Mistakes allow thinking to happen
- My awesome time wasted for an hour
- Mental abuse towards humans
You can find these acronyms and more here.
As you can tell, most people are not too fond of math and see it as another method of torture from their teachers. That’s why so many of the acronyms are negative. However, you will find a few random ones that are positive and don’t really have anything to do with math as we know it.
33 Best Math Jokes and Math Puns
What about if you’re not necessarily looking for acronyms, but you are looking for some funny jokes that have to do with math. Well then, you’re in the right place because we’ve got plenty of them right here for you.
1. Why was math class so long?
- The teacher kept going off on a tangent
2. I saw my math teacher with a piece of graph paper yesterday. I think he may be plotting something.
3. What do mathematicians do after a snowstorm?
- Make snow angles
4. What’s a math teacher’s favorite kind of tree?
5. What do geometry teachers have decorating their floor?
- Area rugs
6. Did you hear about the mathematician who’s afraid of negative numbers? He’ll stop at nothing to avoid them.
7. Why was the obtuse triangle always upset?
- Because it was never right
8. How does a mathematician plow fields?
- With a pro-tractor
9. Do you know what seems odd to me?
- Numbers that aren’t divisible by two.
10. Why wasn’t the geometry teacher at school?
- Because she sprained her angle
11. What do you call more than one ‘L?’
- A parallel
12. Why doesn’t anybody talk to a circle?
- Because there’s no point
13. What did the triangle say to the circle?
- You’re pointless
14. Did you hear about the over-educated circle? It has 360 degrees.
15. I had an argument with a 90-degree angle. Turns out it was right.
16. Parallel lines have so much in common. It’s a shame they’ll never meet.
17. Why was six afraid of seven?
- Because seven ate nine
18. A sheepdog rounds up all the sheep in the pen for his farmer. He comes back and says, ‘okay, chief, 40 sheep accounted for.’
- The farmer says, ‘but I’ve counted, and I only get 36.’
- Sheepdog replies, ‘I know, but I rounded them up.’
19. What king loved fractions?
- Henry the Eighth
20. There’s a fine line between a numerator and a denominator, but only a fraction would understand
21. Why is statistics never anyone’s favorite subject?
- It’s just average
22. What do you call two friends who love math?
23. Do you know why seven ate nine?
- Because you’re supposed to eat three squared meals a day
24. Why do atheists have trouble with exponents?
- They don’t believe in higher powers
25. Why do plants hate math?
- Because it gives them square roots
26. Why does algebra make you a better dancer?
- Because you can use the algo-rhythm
27. What shape do you always have to be careful of?
- A trap-azoid
28. What did one algebra book say to the other?
- Don’t bother me; I’ve got my own problems
29. What did the student say about the equation she couldn’t solve?
- This is derive-ing me crazy
30. When you keep missing math class, it starts to really add up
31. What did the bee say when it solved the problem?
- Hive got it
32. What’s a math teacher’s favorite season?
33. Have you ever noticed what’s odd?
- Every other number
You can find these jokes and more right here.
There are plenty of fun jokes and puns that are associated with math or have to do with different math words. They can definitely be fun, and they might be something that you want for your next math class, whether you want to share them with your teacher or the class (or just keep them in mind the next time math class gets a little dull).
Wrapping Things Up: What Does Math Stand For?
If you don’t know what math stands for, you definitely aren’t alone. Most people don’t really know what the acronym is really all about or why it matters. But by now, you should have a better idea of all of this. Not to mention you should have some pretty good jokes that you can tell if you’re ever feeling a bit bored.