If you’re looking for a new book series to read, you’ve no doubt heard about the Harry Potter series. After all, it’s one of the most popular book series of all time. But is it one that you should be looking at for yourself?
You may be one of the many wondering, is the Harry Potter series worth reading? Well, if you are, then you should take a look at what we have to say here. First, we’re going to talk about the books themselves, what you should know before you get started, and even some Harry Potter character analysis.
Why You Should Read the Harry Potter Series?
Let’s start with the basics. Why read Harry Potter books? Well, there are actually a number of different reasons to read these books, and they start with the fact that these books are fun, engaging, and definitely well-written.
- They’re fun. If you’re looking for a fun read that’s going to pull you into an entirely different world full of magic and mystery and a little bit of good and evil, then you’re definitely going to like the Harry Potter books. They’re full of all of that and a whole lot more.
- You’ll learn things. We’ll talk about some of the specific lessons that you can learn in these books later, but you’re definitely going to learn some important lessons about friendship, love, strength, and a whole lot more.
- They break traditions. You don’t have to worry about stereotypes in these books because that’s not what they’re about. Rather, they have strong female characters and definitely intelligent ones. These books are about everyone coming together to use their strengths as one.
- They’re not about love. Okay, it’s a little about love. But it’s not about finding that special someone and living happily ever after. Sure, that happens a little, but the focus here is on friendship, battles, magic, and other aspects rather than being a long, drawn-out love story.
- They’re about life. Unfortunately, you won’t get 100% happily ever after’s with this series. Sure, you’ll get some great storylines and some happy moments, but not everyone is going to survive, and not everything is going to turn out precisely the way you might want it to.
- There are plenty of unique characters. You can definitely find a character that you relate to, and you can get to know them easily. That’s because, even though these books focus on a trio, there are plenty of other unique and unforgettable characters to choose from as your favorite.
- You can join the fandom. You’ve no doubt heard of Harry Potter before, even if you’ve never read the books. And that’s because there’s a massive following of people who love the books, the movies, the theme park, and everything else there is about Harry Potter. So, if you read the books, you can be part of that awesome fandom as well.
How Many Books are There in the Harry Potter Series?
The truth is that the Harry Potter series is more than just a set number of books. It’s actually an entire franchise that you will definitely want to explore once you’ve gotten started. So, we’ll start with the basics. The original series of Harry Potter books that will get you through the main story is seven books long.
Once you finish the original series, however, you’ll want to take a look at some of the supplemental books that go along with it. Truthfully, there are too many of those to even count. You can get books like Tales of Beedle the Bard and History of Magic, as well as books that explore different aspects of the wizarding world.
There are books that explore the movies, the spells, the wands, and just about everything else, and you will definitely find them both as official books to go along with the series and non-official ones. But that doesn’t make them any less interesting for fans, so you’ll want to take a closer look.
Also, make sure you look at the series of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. This series is currently two books, but it’s still going, and you’ll find more books coming soon. Plus, there’s Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which is actually a screenplay that takes place after the series.
All of this means that while the original series stops at seven books, there’s no end to the fantastic things that you can learn and explore with regards to the Harry Potter world.
What Lessons Does Harry Potter Teach Us?
There are a lot of lessons in Harry Potter that you will learn if you choose to read these books. And some of them you may not even notice until you’re done, or you may not notice at all. But no matter what, you’re going to be introduced to some really great things.
- Friendship is a powerful thing. The three stars of the show are evidence that friendship can genuinely change your life, and it can get you through just about anything. They go through some of the worst experiences anyone can live through, and they come out the other side because they have one another.
- You can be brave in more than one way. We often think of bravery as facing our fears when they’re tangible and obviously frightening, but there are other ways that people can be brave. Throughout this series, you’ll see examples of different characters being bold in their own way and facing up to others in new ways.
- People aren’t what they appear. Just because you think you know someone doesn’t mean that you do. There are secrets for many of the characters in this series, and you won’t really get to know who they are right off the bat. You’ll learn about judging people when you don’t know everything.
- Asking for help is essential. Asking for help doesn’t make you weak, and it’s definitely something that you should do when you need it. Harry often learns that he needs to ask someone to help him, and while he doesn’t want to, he also discovers that it’s the only way that he can succeed.
- Loss is a part of life. Not everything in your life will turn out the way that you want it to. And not everyone is going to make it through the way that you want them to. But just because loss is a part of life doesn’t mean that you have to let it destroy you either.
- Love is long-lasting. In fact, it lasts forever. Even if you lose someone that you care about, they will never truly be gone. There’s power in love and power in the way that you can carry on and continue to honor someone that you care about after they have died.
- Be strong. Sometimes you’re going to want to run, but you have to be willing to face up to those fears that have been holding you back and make a stand. And you may have to stand against the very people that you thought might be on your side. Or stand alongside people who you never thought would be with you.
- Money won’t fix everything. Being rich isn’t going to make a massive difference in your life if you don’t have principles, friends, and so many other things that are even more important. You can have all the money in the world and still fall short on the other things that really matter.
- Confidence is not courage. Just because you can bluster doesn’t mean that you’re actually a courageous person. It doesn’t mean that you can actually achieve the things that you want to or that you need to in order to be successful.
- You don’t have to fit in. So many of us want to fit in with the world around us and with the other people around us, but that’s not necessary at all. In fact, sometimes the best thing that you can do is stand out and be different. Just be you.
- There is magic out there. Magic may not exist in the way that we read about in stories, but it’s definitely out there, and it’s waiting for all of us to enjoy. The wizarding world is filled with magic, but there’s magic in the everyday as well.
What Age is Appropriate for Harry Potter Books?
If you want to get your children started on reading the Harry Potter series, or you’re looking at the books yourself and wondering if they’re good for you, they likely are. The books are geared toward children of about seven to nine, though you could read them to your children who are younger.
Younger children may not understand all of the concepts in the books or may have trouble with some of the words, but they’re definitely going to get the gist of everything, and they’re going to get a lot of those lessons out of the books.
Reading them together with younger children can be fun too, and it can help you to explain the things that they don’t understand. For older children, these books can be a good pick for them to read on their own, or you could still choose to have storytime together.
Don’t think that these books are only for kids, however. There are a lot of things in these books that are great for older readers, including teens and even adults. In fact, if you’re interested in any of the concepts, thoughts, lessons, and more from these books, then you’re the target audience.
Is the Harry Potter Books Better than the Movies?
There are several different ways to look at this question, and it can be difficult for a lot of people to decide. In general, you’ll find that the Harry Potter books give you a whole lot more detail and most definitely allow you to immerse yourself in the story more.
If you’re the type of person who loves to read and who likes to picture the story as you do, then you’ll probably find that the books are better. After all, there’s more room to expand on the story, and you’ll get a whole lot more details.
If you like movies and you’re looking for a way to enjoy the story without all of that extraneous detail, you might prefer the movies. It cuts out some of the fluff and some of the more minor things to focus on the most critical part of the story.
Wrapping Things Up: Is the Harry Potter Series Worth Reading?
If you’re looking for a new book to read and you’re not sure where to start, you should absolutely take a closer look at the Harry Potter series. Hopefully, our Harry Potter series review has shown you a little more about why this is such a great option.
You’ll learn a lot of lessons, have a lot of fun, and get out of the real world for a little bit when you read this series.